Let me preface this by saying that I don’t actually receive packages at my house (I don’t have a physical address), so technically they weren’t delivered to my door . . . but they did find their way to me!
I was given free Freshly product to review. All opinions are my own.
I have seen these meal-delivery companies popping up all over the place and have been curious about them. It isn’t something that I would use, because I love cooking at home and have a family of 6 to feed, which I can do much more economically if I make things myself. HOWEVER, I am a stickler for ingredients and how these meals would compare to my standards, so I decided to give Freshly a shot!
There were things I absolutely loved about the idea and these meals, and some that left me head-scratching. Let’s get to it!
- some of the meals we tried were downright fantastic. I tried two different pork chops, chicken breast, and steak that were all perfectly cooked and super moist and flavorful.
- the portions were huge. This will also enter into my “bad” points, but if you have a child to share with, they were the perfect size.
- the packaging was everything. I loved the organic feel and the way the box was made insulated and really packed well to make it to me still cold and FRESH!
- the ingredients were “Kelsey-approved.” Freshly truly does try to keep everything fresh and healthy, and that showed in the ingredient lists.
- everything is gluten free, which is a huge bonus for me. Even if you aren’t diagnosed with gluten sensitivities, in my eyes, gluten isn’t very great for anyone. Making all of their meals across the board gluten-free is great!
- the veggie portions were large. It wasn’t a huge chunk of meat with a small side of veggies, the vegetables were very prominent and perfectly cooked.
- short expiration date. The Freshly meals were delivered and I had to eat them within the next 6 days, which I thought was as it should be — the food was fresh, never frozen, and needed to be consumed! For this reason, Freshly is something you have to be committed to. Not just a casual thing to have around in the fridge, you should plan your meals around the Freshly meals you have to ensure you consume them quickly.
- time to heat: 2 MINUTES. You pierce the plastic container and cook in the microwave for a couple of minutes, pull out your hot food, and enjoy. Everything is pre-cooked. No more excuses!
- convenience. If it’s a choice between the drive-thru, a sit-down restaurant, or one of these meals, Freshly is going to be the better choice 9 times out of 10.
- the serving size in each meal was for 1.5 servings. I found this extremely odd. I gave a couple of meals to my mother-in-law for her opinion because she is often by herself cooking and I thought something fast and healthy would be a good option for her to try. In her words, “Who are these meals for? A single mom with a child? A working professional who wants a tiny portion for leftovers?” I felt the same way, it was too big for me to finish on my own, but not big enough to share with another adult.
- cost. You were waiting for this, weren’t you? With great ingredients, quality packaging, and super fresh food delivered right to your door, there is going to be a price tag! The cost of a Freshly meal averages about $10-11. That seemed steep to me, but then I factored in the serving size (still odd) and the quality, and I think it’s a fair price. If you are eating out at restaurants, this price is about the same or cheaper but you have the convenience of taking it to work to heat for lunch, or staying in at home.I can almost guarantee the clean ingredients won’t compare for a hot entree.
- seasoning. I found a few of the meals particularly bland, which is saying A LOT for me, because I don’t season things much. The omelettes were especially lacking in salt so I had to add some. And I don’t love the idea of microwaved eggs, but the omelettes were actually pretty good and my baby gobbled them up! That being said, some of the veggies were a bit over-seasoned. That is a personal preference that obviously can’t be tailored to everyone. It was minor, in my opinion.
- the salmon. I tried the coconut-lime salmon as did my mother-in-law. I could hardly finish it, it was very filling. But another reason I couldn’t finish it was because it was SO dry. I realize it is hard to fully cook a piece of fish that then must be reheated and remain moist, but I was hopeful after trying some of the other meats that were PERFECTLY cooked. I was disappointed in this meal.
Who I Would Recommend it to:
- the target market for these meals in my mind is a working professional who values health but doesn’t have time to be at home cooking all the time. The meals can be taken to the office or heated quickly after a long day at work without health being compromised.
- anyone wanting a lifestyle change who doesn’t know where to start because it’s all so overwhelming!
- those wanting to eat more healthy, but hate cooking. Freshly would be a good option for those wanting/needing a change, but lack the desire to cook for themselves starting out. You get plenty of food, know that it is fresh and good for you, and it’s convenient.
- anyone needing quick healthy meals to take to work, provide relief during busy seasons of life (what a great gift idea for a new mom!), or to inspire creativity in the kitchen, have a fun date night at home without the stress, etc.
Who would you gift some Freshly meals to?