Since I’ve been nursing a tiny baby again, I’ve been starving. I forgot just how hungry you get when someone else is getting all of their sustenance from your body! With my other babies I probably just ate whatever filled me up or looked good. This time, I’ve been trying really hard to make better choices. I think I’ve done well, and it shows in my energy levels and my moods since having my sweet baby girl. I have been asked a lot what healthy snacks I eat during the day or in the evenings when hunger strikes. These are all things that I also eat while I’m exercising and feeling extra hungry.
My most common go-to snacks consist of:
- Cottage cheese with fruit – I know it’s an acquired tasted, but I recommend you all acquire it! Cottage cheese is such a great snack to fill you up and keep you full – protein!
- Almonds, almonds, almonds – I always have a bag of almonds in my purse/diaper bag. My girls love them, and I love being able to hand them something healthy when they ask for a snack in the store! I eat a handful whenever I’m feeling like I need something.
- Lara Bars – I also always have one of these in my bag. I love the ingredients: dates, nuts . . . that’s about it, depending on the flavor. I love the coconut cream pie, lemon square, pecan pie, cashew cookie, and chocolate coconut chew. They’re delicious and taste like a treat.
- Fruit – bananas or apples with peanut butter, oranges, pears, etc. I’ll eat it all.
- Smoothies – I make them all the time. I used to think it sounded like such a chore to make a smoothie. I don’t know what I was thinking, they’re so easy to throw together. I don’t really vary in my smoothie ingredients (besides the different fruits) – juice, kefir, chia seeds, banana, spinach, and frozen fruit. They fill me like a meal (which I feel I need six times a day . . .).
- Trail mix – I am loving the new trail mix Costco has with almonds, cashews, craisins, dried blueberries, and yogurt chips. I also love just mixing almonds, raisins, cashews, etc.
- Pancakes – that might sound weird, but I like to make a big batch and have extra when I do make them, so that I have a snack. I eat them cold with peanut butter in between meals.
- Cheese – I buy string cheese to grab when I’m running out the door and need a snack.
- Carrots – we always have carrots on hand for juicing, so they’re easy to grab for a snack as well
- Crio Bru – I have determined my favorite blends are Mint and Coca River. I make Crio Bru twice a day, every day. It is what I have every evening to curb those night time munchies. If you haven’t tried it already as a great way to get rid of those cravings, you should. I add a little coconut sugar to mine, and sometimes some milk or almond milk too.
That about sums it up. I’m not fancy, I mostly eat fruit and nuts! While I’ve been taking in extra calories, I wanted to make sure they were healthy choices. I feel great and find that I have all the energy I need, despite feeding a newborn every 2 hours and waking up 1-2 times in the night. It’s been a whirlwind the last 8 weeks and my baby is growing up faster than I am comfortable with, but we’re all healthy and happy! We are currently packing to move next week back to our beloved farm and I can’t wait!
What are some of your favorite snacks?