When I began drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning, I started noticing some changes. Now I want to share why a little fresh lemon in your water can help you too!
Citrus fruits are more than juicy morsels of heaven on a hot day. They have many benefits to the body and aren’t always given enough credit.
Last week I was discussing the benefits of lemon essential oil in water with a friend and I challenged her to drink warm lemon water each morning before she eats breakfast.
After issuing said challenge, I decided to make it broader and write up a post on why I feel this simple change can help a lot.
6 BENEFITS OF LEMON WATER
- lemons help flush our digestive system. They also mimic digestive juices, which stimulate bile production and aids in digestion. Lemons are excellent for relieving upset stomach and indigestion as well. When I feel sick I make ginger lemon tea and it helps tremendously.
- the vitamin C content in lemons is great for skin. Vitamin C is necessary for the body to produce collagen, which gives us smooth, healthy looking skin. It also helps the skin by aiding digestion, and the antioxidants it contains reduce inflammation.
IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOST
- vitamin C and potassium are both present in lemons and drinking lemon water before eating anything in the morning can help the body more properly absorb them, giving the immune system a nice boost. Vitamin C stimulates white blood cell production, which is crucial to immunity.
- everyone sits up a little straighter when something claims to aid in weight loss. Lemon water isn’t going to be a magic pill for that, but it can help maintain a healthy weight, especially when consumed first thing in the morning before eating.
- lemons contain negatively charged ions. When these ions enter the digestive tract, you get an increase of energy, naturally! This could be a great coffee alternative to those who need their caffeine fix first thing in the morning.
REDUCE ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
- in the essential oil community, it is well known that the citrus oils have been used for mood improvement. Just the scent of lemons/grapefruit/orange, etc. may enhance the mood and have a calming effect on the nervous system. This is powerful and I have seen the benefit of it in my own life. Whether it’s oils or fresh citrus, consuming lemon water can have a great impact on how you feel!