Ready for another of “Kelsey’s childhood favorite recipes?” This 7 layer lettuce salad is perfect for summer parties, or staying home and eating the entire thing by yourself.
I have mentioned my mom in probably ever other post on this blog, but I can’t help it — I wouldn’t be here doing what I am doing without her influence. Another of her great recipes is here today. This is one of my favorite salads for summer and it’s always a hit.
Dishes that can be made a head of time and grabbed out of the fridge on my way to a party or potluck are my favorite kind. I am always rushing around anyway trying to get everyone ready to go, so I like removing food prep on the day of an event.
This layered lettuce salad is easy to grab and go, then mix when you reach your destination. Always mix it together right before serving to keep the lettuce crisp and fresh! It doesn’t keep well, so make sure you eat it right away.
- 1 head iceburg lettuce
- ½ head or small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1½ c mayo
- ½ lb bacon, cut in small pieces and cooked
- 2 c grated cheddar cheese
- 2 T organic cane sugar
- Wash, dry, and tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and put into a large bowl.
- Layer on the cauliflower, then frozen peas and water chestnuts.
- Very gently spread the mayo over the top, getting it right to the edges to seal everything underneath. This takes a bit of time, be patient. Using the back of a spatula and even your finger helps.
- Layer on the bacon, then cheese.
- Add the sugar sprinkled evenly on top.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Mix and serve!