What is a summer party without a great fruit salad? This particular version graced every family holiday meal that I can remember growing up. I have modified it, but it’s still the best fruit salad ever!
I don’t know where it began originally, but my grandma made this amazing fruit salad every Thanksgiving and Christmas. She used whipping cream and lemon pie filling mix, added to some canned fruit in a bowl (if it was a good year she added fresh grapes and strawberries). We all thought it was amazing. And it was, but I have spiffed it up a little and wanted to share.
First of all, you will be using my Easy Homemade Lemon Curd from last week, so go take a peek at that recipe. This is just one of the many ways I will be using that curd recipe, so get familiar with it! And please let me know if you try it — I love all of your comments and feedback!
This recipe will use all or most of your lemon curd, so plan ahead and make two batches so that you have extra to eat later. The hardest part is making the curd and washing/cutting your fruit! I love this recipe as a last minute pot luck dish.
- 8-10 c fresh fruit: berries, pineapple, kiwi, bananas, mango, grapes, etc. canned (drained) mandarin oranges are great)
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1-1½ c Lemon Curd
- Prepare fruit by washing, slicing, etc. I use whole grapes, cut strawberries into quarters, and slice bananas into chunks. Other berries are fine whole.
- Put all of the fruit into a large bowl.
- Whip cream with electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1- 1½ c lemon curd (depending on your taste preferences) into whipping cream until incorporated.
- Gently pour and fold the cream/curd mixture into the fruit until combined.
- Add more fruit as needed if it's too creamy.