With Fall in the air, I had a hankering for soup. This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili hit the spot and my kids loved it, which is an added bonus!
This blog post contains affiliate links. Learn more.
Ever since we moved last month, I have been wanting to get my instantpot out and play around with it some more. After a few cool, rainy days this week, I made an executive decision to make soup for dinner last night.
When looking around for recipes I came across several using sweet potatoes and it sounded too good to pass up. My husband doesn’t like sweet potatoes, but I am always searching for new ways to make him eat them. He liked the soup, so I guess that’s something!
I was interested to see how my kids reacted to this chili. I set them each a bowl and made them try it. My picky eater ran to her room crying because she didn’t like the smell . . . my other three DEVOURED it. I was pleasantly surprised!
You win some, you lose some. I frequently lose that one with new meals. She did end up trying a sweet potato and then ate a biscuit with honey.
The recipe makes plenty so I will have good leftovers for a few days. I couldn’t believe how quickly this came together and fell more in love with the instantpot afterward!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (or dehydrated onion flakes, large handful)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, or 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 c organic chicken stock or bone broth
- ½ c quinoa (rinsed and uncooked)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to your instant pot or pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid.
- Press "Manual" (on instant pot) and adjust the time for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.